The Society of Women Engineers’ Research Division was created in 2016 to focus on issues associated with gender equity in engineering education and in the engineering workforce in countries where SWE is active. We are a resource for the latest data and information on issues involving women in engineering. The SWE Research Division collaborates with researchers on projects that further the success of women in the profession and encourage females to pursue a career in engineering.
SWE Research Priorities
The SWE Research Division is currently focused on research activities that support the following:
- Inspiring girls to pursue a STEM education
- Supporting educational pathways that lead to a career in engineering
- Increasing diversity and inclusion in engineering education and the workforce
- Promoting efforts that encourage women to stay in the profession
SWE Research Division staff can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SWE Research Advisory Committee
The SWE Research Advisory Committee was created in 2018 to help the organization determine research topics for exploration, identify potential collaborators and external funding opportunities, provide expert feedback on current research projects, and support efforts to disseminate research findings. The SWE Research Advisory Committee members also serve as a conduit for SWE members to communicate their opinions and share their expertise. Membership to this committee is by invitation only.
The current members of the SWE Research Advisory Committee:
- Stephanie G. Adams, PhD, Dean, Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Texas at Dallas
- Carlotta M. Arthur, PhD, Director, Clare Boothe Luce Program, The Henry Luce Foundation
- Caterina Cocchi, PhD, Junior Professor, Physics Department, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Diane Foley, Senior Director, Information Technology, Raytheon Company
- Gretchen Hein, PhD, Senior Lecturer, Department of Engineering Fundamentals, Michigan Technological University
- Karen J. Horton, PE, Professor, Mechanical Engineering Technology, University of Maine
- Peter F. Meiksins, PhD, Vice Provost for Academic Programs (retired), Cleveland State University
- Andresse St. Rose, EdD, Senior Director, Research, Evaluation, and Policy, Center for Collaborative Education
- Bevlee A. Watford, PhD, PE, Professor, Engineering Education, Virginia Tech
- Rishelle Wimmer, MA, Senior Lecturer, Information Technology and Systems Management, Salzburg University of Applied Sciences
The following SWE staff support the Research Advisory Committee:
- Roberta Rincon, PhD, Senior Manager of Research
- Anne Perusek, Director of Editorial and Publications
SWE Research Division Timeline
The following timeline lists the major activities that the SWE Research Division has undertaken since its inception.